About Oasis Intergenerational Tutoring
Tutors, Mentors and Friends
Oasis Intergenerational Tutoring is a volunteer program that pairs older adults with children in kindergarten –third grades to work one-on-one each week as their tutors, mentors and friends. Oasis tutors use a six-step approach to literacy designed by educators that emphasizes improved reading, speaking, listening and writing.
Oasis Intergenerational Tutoring is the largest older adult tutoring program in the U.S., and has reached more than 485,000 children over the last 30 years.
In 2018, Oasis tutors helped 21,000 children in 630 schools in 75 districts across the country
More than 4,000 Oasis tutors volunteer in 14 different states in over 20 U.S. cities.
- Oasis expertise in engaging older adults in schools and mentoring practices
- Step-by-step implementation guidelines and ongoing support
- Online resources and ongoing tutor training on a variety of topics, including:
- Increased confidence, motivation and enjoyment of reading and writing
- Trauma sensitivity and restorative practices
- Dyslexia awareness
- Literacy-based curriculum written by educators